Thursday, October 8, 2009

Blackberry Gobbler

This is what comes of setting down a city girl, more or less, in a more rural place: Faithful housemates Rahu and Ketu were grossly slandered. They never ate my vegetables. It was a mouse (more likely, mice). This is the verdict of experts on the local microfauna. That’s good because Rahu and Ketu (not MY Raju and Ketu) are demons. It never felt quite right to so malign these watchful, noiseless creatures. One dispatched a bug yesterday before my eyes. Fast. Neat. I offer my apologies.

Nagas, undemonified, are altogether better. Primordial, pre-Vedic, biding their time. Buddhists also have nagas. I must consider other names more suitable for autochthonous guardians.
But who knew Indo-mice eat Blackberry keys? Do they do it as a strike against modernity?

Local wildlife so far encountered: Lizards, Bhrama Bulls, Water Buffalo, Dogs, Peacocks, Mynah birds, Monkeys, Snake (wrapped around a man who would like you to take his picture and pay him for it), Millipedes, Ants, Bees, Roach (one, ugh), Butterflies, Flies, Moths, Goats, Mice, Daddy Longlegs, Chipmunks, some kind of Weasel. Birds and Insects unfamiliar to me. I'll keep the list up to date as the parade continues.

Lakhs and crores of these (rough translation: many multiples).

Tourists, of course.

No mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment